Archive

Total Pageviews (depressing, really)

Monday, November 8, 2010

Good Morning!

I have today off, so comic should be up later- I have several that I'm working on, so once I get the scanner working...
You know what's weird?
Politics.
Everyone ties themselves down to political parties, and the leaders of those parties can't change their minds or reconsider anything. Because that would upset the people in their parties.
And any dialogue between the parties basically consists of advanced name calling. I'd like to see when people clearly outline their opinions and discuss opposing views, rather than going off skills that we most likely learned in the first grade.
And no, this isn't against any specific person. I bet you thought it was going to be.

2 comments:

  1. OK, you knew I was going to disagree once I read this. ;D ;P Here goes ...

    Though one could call the duopoly that exists in America today a false dichotomy that forces people to maintain certain viewpoints and prevents them from expressing any ideas outside a narrow party structure, I would disagree. I think that without the duopoly that we have in place today, a period of stagnation - such as the one we covered briefly in history this term, Monroe's Era of Good Feelings (I think it was Monroe, at least?), in which everyone alleged that everyone /else/ was outside the party and that /they/ were the true party people or whatever, and nothing happened - would occur. I think that while it does restrict people to two different viewpoints, both address the fundamentals at the heart of American politics and provide people with two reasonably comprehensive viewpoints. Also, an inherent flaw of our system is that any third party candidate is pretty much doomed to failure. Therefore, attempts to rebel against the two-party system, imho, are rarely very effective and simply perpetuate a perfect solution fallacy. While our system /does/ have flaws, as you've pointed out, I think that it's the "worst form of government except all the others that have been tried", to reappropriate a Churchill quote. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pah! My main comment is on people acting (or actually being) ignorant and one-sided based on their parties' views. Of course, it is not as bad as it could be.

    ReplyDelete